HISTORY OF PATNA WOMEN’S COLLEGE
Patna Women’s College was founded in 1940 by Bishop B.J. Sullivan S.J., Bishop of Patna and Mother M. Josephine A.C. Superior General of the Apostolic Carmel. It was the first institution of higher learning opened to cater to the educational needs of women in Bihar. Bishop Sullivan, the founder, named it Patna Women’s College and presented it as a gift to the Women of Bihar, thereby placing at their disposal an opportunity for higher education. It was Bishop Sullivan’s firm belief that the upliftment of Bihar lay in liberating its womenfolk by providing them with opportunities for higher education, in other words, by empowering them. In the early years the College and the hostel were housed in the Bishop’s own residence at Bankipur, which he vacated for this great work. The College was granted the status of degree college in July 1941.
The site for the College building was offered to the then Principal, Mother Theodosia, by the Governor of Bihar Lord Rutherford, in 1945. The Governor was concerned that the College building should match in beauty, the High Court , opposite which this site was located. He was not disappointed. Father Gaerhart and Father Loesch saw an ‘architect’s dream’ for the new building of Patna Women’s College, a unique synthesis of Hindu, Islamic, Norman and Gothic styles. The College moved into the new building in July 1948. Thousands of motivated and empowered women have passed through the portals of this college and have entered various fields of life, many making a mark in our country and abroad. The College has come a long way from the time the pioneers envisioned and undertook the difficult task of establishing a Women’s College at a time when only a few truly enlightened and far-sighted persons were prepared to support this infant project in a place where higher education for women was frowned upon, if not rejected outright.
In 1952, Patna Women’s College become a Constituent College of the Patna University, still retaining its ‘Special Character’. On 25.07.2007 the Governor of Bihar officially declared Patna Women’s College as a Religious Minority College.
Over the years the PWC grow into a premier institute whose hallmark has always been Quality and Excellence. The holistic approach towards development and progress has enabled the institution to successfully face the challenge of being accredited with ‘A’ grade by National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) in May 2004 and Re-accreditation in January 2010 with a very high Institutional CGPA rank (3.51 out of 4) http://www.naac.gov.in/CGPA System accredited inst.pdf. It has also gained recognition from UGC as a ‘College with Potential for Excellence’, a status accorded by NAAC in 2004.
This College is designed to train the women of India to face squarely the problems of present day life and to give them the cultural advantages of a cosmopolitan outlook. The students are trained not merely in the academic subjects, but also in the creative arts, social service, critical thinking, leadership and adaptability to circumstances, so that, with a broad and purposeful philosophy of life and mental elasticity, they may become leaders in any circle and agents of social change.
The college forged ahead to face the challenges of the 21st century, that are, explosion of information, management of knowledge, integration of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) with education, curriculum innovation and examination reforms. This also includes establishing synergetic partnerships with industries and R&D Organisations, developing a Research Centre and creating and enterprising spirit in student.
Sister M. Benedicta A.C.
Sister M.Theodosia A.C.
Sister M. Lucile A.C.
Sister M. Liceria A.C.
Sister Doris D’Souza A.C.
In 1940, the college started only with the subjects of Humanities and Social Sciences. But sensing the contemporary need for training in Science, teaching of Science was introduced at the intermediate level in July 1948 and at the undergraduate level in 1988. The concern for preparing women to take their place globally is also reflected in introduction of three Vocational Honours courses : Industrial Microbiology (IMB), Communicative English with Media Studies (CEMS), and Advertising Sales Promotion and Sales Management (ASPASM) in 1994 Computer Application (BCA), P G Diploma Course in Computer Application(PGDCA), and P G Diploma in Fashion Designing (PGDFD) in 1995 and the Degree Course in Bachelor of Commerce (B.Com.) in 2002. The Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) and Bachelor of Mass Communication (BMC) courses were introduced in 2005. The P. G. Diploma in Advertising and Sales Management (PGDASM) was introduced in July 2006 to keep abreast with the contemporary requirements. Keeping in mind the demands for teachers’ training courses, the B.Ed. programme and Department of Education was introduces and inaugurated in 2006. A UGC sponsored Foundation Course on Human Rights and Values in Education by the Department of Political Science and Edusat Network Centre were two significant additions in 2006 to further strengthen the academic opportunities available to the students. The UGC sanctioned a Certificate Course on Human Rights and Value in Education. This course is being conducted by Department of Political Science and was launched on 28th February 2007. As part of the six pronged enrichment, a dimension was introduced to the existing programme of study.
The names of the programme: Add-on Credit based Vocational Certificate Courses:
- Faculty of Commerce: Public Relations (PR) Human Resource Management (HRM). Risk and Insurance Management (RIM).
- Faculty of Arts/Social Science: Stress Management, Applied Yoga Textile Ornamentation and Home Fashion.
- Advanced Computer Literacy Programme for Teaching Staff (College level) by Department of Computer Science on 25th April 2007.
The College today offers Honours in 24 subjects at U.G. level, PG. in Home Science and 3 P.G. Diploma Courses and a programme in Teacher Education (B.Ed.). However the student s are trained not only in academic subjects but also in creative art social service, environment awareness, leadership and personality development. The College has organised several programmes and functions. Many projects have been undertaken since its inception to provide a multifaceted education to its young women students.
The college at present commands student strength above 4000, teaching staff strength of 195 and the supporting staff goes up to 95.
Fill me with the desire to build up rather than to tear down, to heal rather than to wound, to reconcile rather than to polarize, to risk rather than to seek compromise and security.